Suggestion Thread - Round 27

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

The Tentacle-Faced Mad Man

• Members
  • 487 posts

They’ve tried. Just keeps happening within hours or days.

To expand on this, we'd have to wipe not just the many GB of files on that site full of that shit (which is mix in among regular system files and folders) we would have to search every single file and page for the site to make sure that the code that was written on them was deleted. Almost every file, php or html or xml or whatever, had edits done by the bots, adding lines of code into them to perpetuate itself.

Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
~Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, The Human Hive, Alpha Centauri
----------------------------------------------------------------------
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
~US Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1950
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
~Going Postal, Sir Terry Pratchett
America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.
~Georges Clemenceau

Delta Force

Delta Force

• Members
  • 158 posts

To expand on this, we'd have to wipe not just the many GB of files on that site full of that shit (which is mix in among regular system files and folders) we would have to search every single file and page for the site to make sure that the code that was written on them was deleted. Almost every file, php or html or xml or whatever, had edits done by the bots, adding lines of code into them to perpetuate itself.

Parts of the site still exist?

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

• Members
  • 487 posts

Parts of the site still exist?

Yea, they're all locked up, no permissions for anyone so they don't do anything nor can be accessed by those without access to the actual files.

Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.
~Georges Clemenceau

Delta Force

Delta Force

• Members
  • 158 posts

Yea, they're all locked up, no permissions for anyone so they don't do anything nor can be accessed by those without access to the actual files.

Why are parts of the site being kept if the code is so heavily corrupted?

Darth Cola

Darth Cola

Dark Lord of the Soda

• Lothal
  • Independent Leader
  • 269 posts

Ideally, things from the old site could be archived at some later time by the few who can still access them, or even better, some work could actually be done to purge the malware and fix it.

I doubt either will ever happen. I think that's why the files were kept, though; because dreamers can dream, right? The best round in recent history was ran straight into the ground by this hacker bullshit and an inability and/or unwillingness to counter it on the host's part, along with others'. 

Now we're kind of in the same place again - not because of malware, but because of a hosting issue and an unwillingness to fix that basic issue.

4vhLnvm.png

Pvj6Qkq.png

Delta Force

Delta Force

• Members
  • 158 posts

Ideally, things from the old site could be archived at some later time by the few who can still access them, or even better, some work could actually be done to purge the malware and fix it.

I doubt either will ever happen. I think that's why the files were kept, though; because dreamers can dream, right? The best round in recent history was ran straight into the ground by this hacker bullshit and an inability and/or unwillingness to counter it on the host's part, along with others'. 

Now we're kind of in the same place again - not because of malware, but because of a hosting issue and an unwillingness to fix that basic issue.

Is this site using the same host as the last one?

Darth Cola

Darth Cola

Dark Lord of the Soda

• Lothal
  • Independent Leader
  • 269 posts
I think this site is on a different host than the old site.

4vhLnvm.png

Pvj6Qkq.png

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

• Members
  • 487 posts

I think this site is on a different host than the old site.

It is a different one. Everything was moved over to the host and server I use.

~Georges Clemenceau

Delta Force

Delta Force

• Members
  • 158 posts

It is a different one. Everything was moved over to the host and server I use.

Do you still have the forums for my games somewhere on that server or are they gone for good?

CSJ

CSJ

Mas Amedda

• Coruscant
  • Republic Leader
  • 101 posts

You mean to say that nobody did an archive the moment the old site was set aside? That is surely the most spectacular mistake I've seen.

• Darth Cola likes this

Posted Image

Provisional Revolutionary Government of Coruscant

“A people's insurrection and a people's revolution are not only natural but inevitable.”
Mao Zedong

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

• Members
  • 487 posts

You mean to say that nobody did an archive the moment the old site was set aside? That is surely the most spectacular mistake I've seen.

No, we have an archive, and the original files. Both are full of crap and malicious edits, but they exist.

~Georges Clemenceau

Delta Force

Delta Force

• Members
  • 158 posts

Always keep backups of anything you don't want to risk losing, and that goes for things posted online.

CSJ

CSJ

Mas Amedda

• Coruscant
  • Republic Leader
  • 101 posts

No, we have an archive, and the original files. Both are full of crap and malicious edits, but they exist.

If so, then there's no value in keeping the old address online in a compromised state, assuming we still hold the domain. Nuke it from orbit an either cleanse the archive or extract whatever value remains.

Posted Image

“A people's insurrection and a people's revolution are not only natural but inevitable.”
Mao Zedong

Shadows

Shadows

The Best Marital Aid in the Galaxy

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 665 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
CSJ... Please make me a basic spreadsheet that does Ir/RR? PLEASE. YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE.

SWD Chatroom

SWD Owner | Head Avatar

CSJ

CSJ

Mas Amedda

• Coruscant
  • Republic Leader
  • 101 posts

CSJ... Please make me a basic spreadsheet that does Ir/RR? PLEASE. YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE.

Mucking around with the ship spreadsheet is easy. I haven't had an offline copy of an economic spreadsheet to look at since the pre-round one from round 25. And that one is a mess to read.

Posted Image

Mao Zedong

Romae

Romae

Veteran Member; Deserves to be Called "Sir"

• Axxila
  • Sub Avatars
  • 557 posts
As long as GDP, Debts, upkeep, IR and RR are in a spreadsheet already - I can throw a calculation together in seconds. But I have no interest in building said stats into the spreadsheet - boring data entry is not for me.

Shadows

Shadows

The Best Marital Aid in the Galaxy

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 665 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
Talk to cvong. He exported all of that into a spreadsheet...

SWD Chatroom

SWD Owner | Head Avatar

Delta Force

Delta Force

• Members
  • 158 posts
Is this restart attempt being done at an undisclosed location or something? I have no idea who is doing what.

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

• Members
  • 487 posts

Is this restart attempt being done at an undisclosed location or something? I have no idea who is doing what.

Yes

~Georges Clemenceau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users