A few ideas about policing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

The Tentacle-Faced Mad Man

• Members
  • 397 posts
So I ran across this article today, in which police, instead of following the law and easily getting a search warrant, decided to break into a house (breaking and entering as well as trespassing) attack a woman (assault) and handcuff her while ignoring the damage they had done to her leg (kidnapping and good samaritan law if Cali has it). They committed multiple felonies for something that could have been done easily (the daughter committed the crime on camera, so they could have easily gotten a warrant). Without a warrant they have as much right to enter your house without permission as I do.

So a few ideas I had:
1. Police who commit felonies should be charged with them. Just a thought. This was on camera. Theres not that much ambiguity.
2. As an alternative to 1, meeting the cops "halfway", police who commit unjustified felonies on duty are blacklisted from law enforcement, and lose all right to pensions. Sure they don't go to jail, but they lose their job, all future prospects in the field, and their retirement savings. They'd be much better off than most people committing felonies on the job.
3. These settlements should not come from the taxpayers, but the police. Either they should have to buy insurance like doctors do, or the funds should come from their oension plans. Hit them in the pocket book and they'll wise up fast.

Or we can just let them keep breaking down doors illegally and tossing grenades into baby cribs because they 'fear for their life'.
Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
~Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, The Human Hive, Alpha Centauri
----------------------------------------------------------------------
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
~US Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1950
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
~Going Postal, Sir Terry Pratchett
America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.
~Georges Clemenceau

Amorn

Amorn

Veteran Member

• Corellia
  • Independent Leader
  • 266 posts
What if you want an independent Catalonia and then you get shot with rubber bullets?

Shadows

Shadows

The Best Marital Aid in the Galaxy

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

To be fair, to have been proven to have committed a felony would require a court case, which didn't happen. I'd rather see stuff like this be forced to be taken to court, that way if there was wrong doing it's addressed and if not someone doesn't get $6.7 million in taxpayer money for a fucking broken ankle (which is ridiculous in itself).

And am I the only one that would have thrown their kids to the police for burning down something at school?

• Sam Baxter likes this

SWD Chatroom

SWD Owner | Some form of staff member... probably...

Shadows

Shadows

The Best Marital Aid in the Galaxy

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Also, a reason why this case wouldn't be as cut and dry as C-Vong would want us to believe... (He hates police afterall :P) is exigent circumstances:

http://le.alcoda.org...RCUMSTANCES.pdf

"But then, in a series of decisions beginning  in  1963,  the  United  States  Supreme  Court expanded the term to include investigative emergencies  consisting  mainly  of attempts  by  suspects  to destroy evidence or escape."

Was this the best course of action? Absolutely not. If nothing else calling in back up and surrounding the area while they got a warrant would have ended up cheaper. The real question though is if this really is criminal, and if it was a violation of the 4th Amendment when taking into account case law and everything else that confuses the rules.

SWD Chatroom

SWD Owner | Some form of staff member... probably...

Sam Baxter

Sam Baxter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Location"The City of Ships"

The U.S. Navy teaches its intelligence personnel that everyone has an agenda. The particular website Cvong linked is more up-front in its intentions than most: posting stories geared towards stoking fear that the U.S. government is perpetually on the verge of becoming an authoritarian police state.

I mean, seriously. You're linking us to a website which tried to claim a judge banned vegetable gardens because they're ugly - when the facts were much more mundane (the community of Miami Shores can enforce local codes restricting vegetable gardens to rear yards only).  :rolleyes:

Baxter.jpg

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

The Tentacle-Faced Mad Man

• Members
  • 397 posts

The U.S. Navy teaches its intelligence personnel that everyone has an agenda. The particular website Cvong linked is more up-front in its intentions than most: posting stories geared towards stoking fear that the U.S. government is perpetually on the verge of becoming an authoritarian police state.

I mean, seriously. You're linking us to a website which tried to claim a judge banned vegetable gardens because they're ugly - when the facts were much more mundane (the community of Miami Shores can enforce local codes restricting vegetable gardens to rear yards only).  :rolleyes:

True, the source is bad. I apologize. Would you rather I post pictures and videos of non-resisting people being shot and then a second video of the police officer being exonerated because they 'feared for their lives' or 'were in mortal danger'? How about people in handcuffs being beaten to death and the officers' only punishment being paid suspensions/vacations? Unarmed people running from the police being shot in the back and the police getting 'desk duty' (what they usually get for getting hurt on the job)? What about just a few videos of dogs calmly watching police shoot them so the police can break into the wrong house without a warrant?

This shit happens multiple times a week. But it doesn't matter because they are enforcers of the state so they can do no wrong. Those that try to do it the right way or report those who abuse citizens are kicked out. They have become state sanctioned gangs. I know a few officers, some I went to school with and some from when they patrolled our halls in high school (for non-Americans, this is a regular occurrence in many high schools, even one as small as mine with just over 1200 students. We had full officers 2 at all times, 4 on the anniversary of the Columbine shooting). They either don't want to talk about this kind of stuff, or try to end the conversation with "a few bad apples", which I oblige them because they're friends. 

But the phrase is "A few bad apples spoils the barrel". Which means if you let them stay, which we have for decades, then they corrupt it all. Those who would normally be 'good cops' are too scared to do anything. I have one friend who works up in Milwaukee for the city, and hated dealing with the county cops because they were run by David Clarke, a sheriff who let prisoners die of dehydration and who calls for the end of habeas corpus. That seems to be a theme in those who sympathize with the police gang: "Don't question the police, especially if they're charging or arresting you. Just take your licks and be happy about it."

The worst thing is, most officers I've met are nice guys, even on duty (though being a white male helps). But their 'sympathizers' are rabid fanboys who want you to bow to them, similar to the nationalist fanboys who say you shouldn't disrespect the flag and the troops by kneeling, despite most veterans I know saying they served so people could carry out their right to do such, whether or no they agree with their opinion.

Sorry its a bit of a rambling rant, I just don't understand why they can break the law because they wear a badge.

Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
~Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, The Human Hive, Alpha Centauri
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
~US Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1950
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
~Going Postal, Sir Terry Pratchett
America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.
~Georges Clemenceau

Sam Baxter

Sam Baxter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Location"The City of Ships"

True, the source is bad. I apologize. Would you rather I post pictures and videos of non-resisting people being shot and then a second video of the police officer being exonerated because they 'feared for their lives' or 'were in mortal danger'? How about people in handcuffs being beaten to death and the officers' only punishment being paid suspensions/vacations? Unarmed people running from the police being shot in the back and the police getting 'desk duty' (what they usually get for getting hurt on the job)? What about just a few videos of dogs calmly watching police shoot them so the police can break into the wrong house without a warrant?

Not at all. I'm just saying that if you're going to make an argument about policing, it would be best if you made said argument using sources that do not cause you to be dismissed automatically as some rambling lunatic who spouts information from extremist sites.

• Potestas likes this

Baxter.jpg

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

SANAND

SANAND

• Neimoidia
  • Independent Leader
  • 138 posts

I've had a lot of bad experiences with the police. I'm no criminal, they never caught me doing much of anything, I've never been arrested. But they found a reason to treat me like shit, abuse my rights, and/or just be generally disrespectful because they think they can.

Thats why once my yard is fenced in my driveway gate will have a little slide port like the guy had in the wizard of oz. You speak to me from the other side of my fence through my little view port where I feel safe.

The Neimoidians have a severely overblown opinion of themselves and their capabilities.― Nevil Cygni to Admiral Thrawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users