Time for the gun talk again

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Sam Baxter

Sam Baxter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Location"The City of Ships"

It's rather strange how the Head Av has the time and energy to be contributing to a talk on gun ownership, when the site remains in development after three months (and there are calls to open up Planet Apps). One might be excused for thinking it's a set of misplaced priorities, but hey, I'm just a lowly player .....

Baxter.jpg

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

YOUR LORD AND MASTER

• Administrators
  • 330 posts

It's rather strange how the Head Av has the time and energy to be contributing to a talk on gun ownership, when the site remains in development after three months (and there are calls to open up Planet Apps). One might be excused for thinking it's a set of misplaced priorities, but hey, I'm just a lowly player .....

We're collating numbers, figuring new formulas, and trying to make the game fun in the numbers. If you'd like everyone can have 10 billion pop and 1 trillion GDP and a shipyard, and we start at a level playing field, but I doubt most would like that. There are new systems to implement, old systems to fix (unless you thought it made sense that Balmorra only had ~11,000 GDP per capita while Bilbringi had almost 6 million GDP per capita), and then all has to be balanced together. Most of the militaries for major planets are done, KH is running the numbers for planet stats, Bregor is implementing the systems, and once we have everything there done we will quickly enter the data and open the apps while doing so. And we've added a handful of people to speed up the restart so once we have the numbers they'll go in right away.

Meanwhile, commenting here is fairly easy. This whole post took me 5 minutes, including looking up the stats named above. 

NOTICE: IF I MAKE A POST IN THE OTHERS BOARD DO NOT TAKE IT AS SERIOUS COMMANDMENTS FROM ON HIGH (those usually come in the Game News area)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
~Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, The Human Hive, Alpha Centauri
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
~US Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1950
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
~Going Postal, Sir Terry Pratchett
History does not record anywhere a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help.
~Lazarus Long, in Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein

Srip

Srip

• 180 posts

By your definition, I should legally be able to own an ICBM with multi-warhead nukes. I mean it is an 'arm'. Would you be comfortable with the Clintons or the Gates or Elon Musk having their own private nuclear arsenal? Under your strict interpretation, they should be able to.

Well no, because an ICBM with nukes isn't an arm. It's a nuclear weapon, it's not a firearm. An M2 is still a firearm. Besides, if you violate the NAP, you gotta be prepared for the repercussions.

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

YOUR LORD AND MASTER

• Administrators
  • 330 posts

Well no, because an ICBM with nukes isn't an arm. It's a nuclear weapon, it's not a firearm. An M2 is still a firearm. Besides, if you violate the NAP, you gotta be prepared for the repercussions.

First, 'Arm' is short for "Armament", which is a synonym for "weapon". Second, I never signed the NPT or "Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty" (I assume thats what you meant), and it never references individuals owning it so only states are required to abide by it.

NOTICE: IF I MAKE A POST IN THE OTHERS BOARD DO NOT TAKE IT AS SERIOUS COMMANDMENTS FROM ON HIGH (those usually come in the Game News area)
Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
~Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, The Human Hive, Alpha Centauri
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
~US Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1950
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
~Going Postal, Sir Terry Pratchett
History does not record anywhere a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help.
~Lazarus Long, in Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein

Romae

Romae

• 133 posts

I've literally seen people say that. And I am near exact quoting:

"When the constitution was drawn up most people had rifles while the armies had muskets. Rifles are superior to muskets. The constitution was designed so we could overthrow a tyrannical government. As such, anything the military can have, we are constitutionally allowed to have as well."

This is one of many thousands of NRA brainwashed idiots that are the loudest shouting about their 2nd amendment rights. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users