Time for the gun talk again

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Sam Baxter

Sam Baxter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Location"The City of Ships"

It's rather strange how the Head Av has the time and energy to be contributing to a talk on gun ownership, when the site remains in development after three months (and there are calls to open up Planet Apps). One might be excused for thinking it's a set of misplaced priorities, but hey, I'm just a lowly player .....

• SANAND likes this

Baxter.jpg

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

The Tentacle-Faced Mad Man

• Members
  • 447 posts

It's rather strange how the Head Av has the time and energy to be contributing to a talk on gun ownership, when the site remains in development after three months (and there are calls to open up Planet Apps). One might be excused for thinking it's a set of misplaced priorities, but hey, I'm just a lowly player .....

We're collating numbers, figuring new formulas, and trying to make the game fun in the numbers. If you'd like everyone can have 10 billion pop and 1 trillion GDP and a shipyard, and we start at a level playing field, but I doubt most would like that. There are new systems to implement, old systems to fix (unless you thought it made sense that Balmorra only had ~11,000 GDP per capita while Bilbringi had almost 6 million GDP per capita), and then all has to be balanced together. Most of the militaries for major planets are done, KH is running the numbers for planet stats, Bregor is implementing the systems, and once we have everything there done we will quickly enter the data and open the apps while doing so. And we've added a handful of people to speed up the restart so once we have the numbers they'll go in right away.

Meanwhile, commenting here is fairly easy. This whole post took me 5 minutes, including looking up the stats named above. 

Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
~Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, The Human Hive, Alpha Centauri
----------------------------------------------------------------------
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
~US Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1950
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
~Going Postal, Sir Terry Pratchett
America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.
~Georges Clemenceau

Srip

Srip

Chaos God of War

• 196 posts

By your definition, I should legally be able to own an ICBM with multi-warhead nukes. I mean it is an 'arm'. Would you be comfortable with the Clintons or the Gates or Elon Musk having their own private nuclear arsenal? Under your strict interpretation, they should be able to.

Well no, because an ICBM with nukes isn't an arm. It's a nuclear weapon, it's not a firearm. An M2 is still a firearm. Besides, if you violate the NAP, you gotta be prepared for the repercussions.

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

• Members
  • 447 posts

Well no, because an ICBM with nukes isn't an arm. It's a nuclear weapon, it's not a firearm. An M2 is still a firearm. Besides, if you violate the NAP, you gotta be prepared for the repercussions.

First, 'Arm' is short for "Armament", which is a synonym for "weapon". Second, I never signed the NPT or "Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty" (I assume thats what you meant), and it never references individuals owning it so only states are required to abide by it.

Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.
~Georges Clemenceau

Romae

Romae

Veteran Member; Deserves to be Called "Sir"

• Axxila
  • Sub Avatars
  • 516 posts

I've literally seen people say that. And I am near exact quoting:

"When the constitution was drawn up most people had rifles while the armies had muskets. Rifles are superior to muskets. The constitution was designed so we could overthrow a tyrannical government. As such, anything the military can have, we are constitutionally allowed to have as well."

This is one of many thousands of NRA brainwashed idiots that are the loudest shouting about their 2nd amendment rights. 

K.H.

K.H.

Most Awarded Member

• Metellos
  • Head Sub Avatar
  • 907 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

With the number of mass shootings becoming more frequent and more deadly each year, it looks like we have a few more decades to go before any legislation can get passed. I would estimate that according to the frequency and severity of mass shootings, by about 2050 there will be so many high profile mass killings a year that the time between mass shootings will be short enough for maybe a universal background check law, or even funding for mental health to pass. Most people who survive mass shootings or have a loved one killed in a mass shooting, will become an advocate for gun control, while most Americans do not care unless it effects them directly. So when the number of people directly affected by mass shootings eclipses the number of members of the NRA, you might see a shift in policy. One externality one must consider is that the demand for guns goes up just after a mass shooting, because the NRA gets their members all stirred up. That puts more guns in the hands of people, which therefore increases the likeliness of more mass shootings. Therefore the graph might begin a exponential increase, and actually hasten gun control legislation.

However, I do agree this is no time to talk about gun control. Not enough people were killed, plus the Republicans control the House, Senate, and White House. That is just the sad reality of it all. We are all going to die, it just happens that in America we like shooting each other.  

Maybe not two decades, more like a decade in a half. By the rate we are going, in 2030 over half the population will know someone personally who was killed, wounded or survived a mass shooting which will be a major tipping point. Between current polling and statistics of mass shootings the tipping point may be in 2025, but the rural/urban divide in congress will cause it to linger on another five years. One thing that could cause it to last two decades would be that by 2025 some smaller bills, similar to the Manchin-Toomey bill will get passed, which probably won't slow down any trends but will be viewed as a compromise. 

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

• Members
  • 447 posts

Since I have nothing more to add, here's George Carlin from over a decade ago predicting this shit:

~Georges Clemenceau

Amorn

Amorn

Veteran Member

• Corellia
  • Independent Leader
  • 327 posts
Top notch shooting guys, I particularly liked the high speed car pursuit of the assailant by some armed civilian. That guy should run for president as he may be legitimately the biggest badarse ever.

K.H.

K.H.

Most Awarded Member

• Metellos
  • Head Sub Avatar
  • 907 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Those dudes are way cooler than Dan Blizerian in the Las Vegas shooting. His live feed from the attack confirmed what everyone else already knew, that he was the worlds biggest douche. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users