Quick Health Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

YOUR LORD AND MASTER

• Administrators
  • 330 posts

So I may be away for a bit. Have something that is probably not that serious (abscess), but I cannot afford to get it treated, so once it infects major parts of my body or gets into my bloodstream then I can get it covered. It will be crippling medical debt by then, but then I can just declare bankruptcy (if I live), and since I have little to my name and make little money its not much that can be done to me. 

The reason I put this in the Real World Talk section is this: 
I have paid almost $2000 in insurance premiums so far this year. Despite having prescription and vision insurance covered, doctor prescribed medications and vision checkups have NOT BEEN COVERED. In fact when the eye doctor's people tried to look me up, I don't have vision insurance from their end. Still paying for it though. The only thing that has been covered is doctors visits, but those they covered only $22 dollars total this year. 

So far I have paid over $1900 to insurance and saved $22 as a result. It would have cheaper to pay the penalty for not having any insurance at this point. 

Now some may say "Thats why the ACA failed", but its not. Before the ACA I could not even get insurance, any type. Any medical problem would have been through the ER, and would have been much more expensive. And every plan that has been to push away from single payer would have made this more expensive: less coverage for the same cost or same coverage for more cost. And since ER care is covered by taxpayers until someone pays, that means your tax dollars go towards my heath benefits anyways.

I have no point really other than to say if you don't support single payer, you're a selfish bastard that would rather see people in pain than pay more tax dollars while getting rid of their premiums. And I hate you. 

NOTICE: IF I MAKE A POST IN THE OTHERS BOARD DO NOT TAKE IT AS SERIOUS COMMANDMENTS FROM ON HIGH (those usually come in the Game News area)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
~Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, The Human Hive, Alpha Centauri
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
~US Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1950
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
~Going Postal, Sir Terry Pratchett
History does not record anywhere a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help.
~Lazarus Long, in Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein

WitchDoktor

WitchDoktor

• 595 posts

I never get a tax penalty even when I don't have insurance.  Being covered by the VA "counts" as insurance apparently. 

• Sam Baxter likes this

Round 6: Telos IV
Round 7: Ralltiir
Round 8: Sluis Van
Round X: Chiss Ascendancy, Sub Avatar
Round 11: Head Military Avatar, Skako
Round 12: Head Military Avatar, Head GPOL Avatar - Awards: Most User-Friendly Avatar, Best Overall Avatar, BH's 'Member of the Round' Award
Round 13: Neimoidia/Viceroy/HoS-CIS/Restart Team/Sub-Avatar - Awards: Best Arms Market
Round 14: Chiss Ascendancy, LOA
Round 15: Chief of Staff
Round 16: Corellia
Round 17: Chiss Ascendancy
Round 18: Induparan Crown Worlds/Coruscant - Awards: Most Politically Successful, Most Militarily Successful, Best Overall Player
Round 19: Ciutric Sector
Round 20: Seswenna Sector
Round 21: Mandalore, Eriadu Union State
Round 22/23: Head Avatar, Security Ops/Policy Avatar, Advisor, Senex-Juvex/Combined Syndicates/Ravnican Empire - Awards: Most Military Successful Player, Best MILI Action, Tekaryn Award for Multiple Personalities.

Round 24: Allied Tion/United Kingdoms of Tion

Round 25: Admiral Ackbar/Alliance Fleet

Round 26: Night Hammer Command/Imperial High Commander/Moff Tarkin - Awards: Best Arms Market, Villain of the Round

WitchDoktor

WitchDoktor

• 595 posts

I also make under a certain amount of money so I get Pennsylvania state healthcare.  It sucks but its something. 

Round 6: Telos IV
Round 7: Ralltiir
Round 8: Sluis Van
Round X: Chiss Ascendancy, Sub Avatar
Round 11: Head Military Avatar, Skako
Round 12: Head Military Avatar, Head GPOL Avatar - Awards: Most User-Friendly Avatar, Best Overall Avatar, BH's 'Member of the Round' Award
Round 13: Neimoidia/Viceroy/HoS-CIS/Restart Team/Sub-Avatar - Awards: Best Arms Market
Round 14: Chiss Ascendancy, LOA
Round 15: Chief of Staff
Round 16: Corellia
Round 17: Chiss Ascendancy
Round 18: Induparan Crown Worlds/Coruscant - Awards: Most Politically Successful, Most Militarily Successful, Best Overall Player
Round 19: Ciutric Sector
Round 20: Seswenna Sector
Round 21: Mandalore, Eriadu Union State
Round 22/23: Head Avatar, Security Ops/Policy Avatar, Advisor, Senex-Juvex/Combined Syndicates/Ravnican Empire - Awards: Most Military Successful Player, Best MILI Action, Tekaryn Award for Multiple Personalities.

Round 24: Allied Tion/United Kingdoms of Tion

Round 25: Admiral Ackbar/Alliance Fleet

Round 26: Night Hammer Command/Imperial High Commander/Moff Tarkin - Awards: Best Arms Market, Villain of the Round

Shadows

Shadows

The One and Only Shadows

• Administrators
  • 384 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
As much as we disagree, I do wish you the best. Shit sucks man and I hope you recover as quickly as possible.

SWD Chat Server on Kiwi IRC

SWD Owner | Some form of staff member... probably...

Redbirdfan

Redbirdfan

• Members
  • 26 posts

So I may be away for a bit. Have something that is probably not that serious (abscess), but I cannot afford to get it treated, so once it infects major parts of my body or gets into my bloodstream then I can get it covered. It will be crippling medical debt by then, but then I can just declare bankruptcy (if I live), and since I have little to my name and make little money its not much that can be done to me. 

The reason I put this in the Real World Talk section is this: 
I have paid almost $2000 in insurance premiums so far this year. Despite having prescription and vision insurance covered, doctor prescribed medications and vision checkups have NOT BEEN COVERED. In fact when the eye doctor's people tried to look me up, I don't have vision insurance from their end. Still paying for it though. The only thing that has been covered is doctors visits, but those they covered only $22 dollars total this year. 

So far I have paid over $1900 to insurance and saved $22 as a result. It would have cheaper to pay the penalty for not having any insurance at this point. 

Now some may say "Thats why the ACA failed", but its not. Before the ACA I could not even get insurance, any type. Any medical problem would have been through the ER, and would have been much more expensive. And every plan that has been to push away from single payer would have made this more expensive: less coverage for the same cost or same coverage for more cost. And since ER care is covered by taxpayers until someone pays, that means your tax dollars go towards my heath benefits anyways.

I have no point really other than to say if you don't support single payer, you're a selfish bastard that would rather see people in pain than pay more tax dollars while getting rid of their premiums. And I hate you. 

Sucks man.  Florida Blue dropped me (illegally, but I don't have the resources to fight them) and they stuck me with a $5K bill.  My advice is drop your insurance, pay the penalty, and just build up the medical bill.

I say this, because after I contacted the office that wanted the $5K and told them (not mentioning my insurance illegally dropped me) they gave me an "uninsured discount".  I paid $350 and was free and clear.

TL;DR - When/If Able, drop your insurance, build up the debt, and then talk to them about a discount or talk down.  Thats what insurance companies do themselves anyways.  They're given a $30K bill and tell the hospital they will give them $5K and they settle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users