Star Wars Diplomacy - Game Menu

Month 1, Day 1, 3 ABY, 6:25 AM

Questions Thread - Round 27

• Please log in to reply
773 replies to this topic

Xaph

Xaph

anyway to verify new users without the Admin CP?

• Cthulhuvong likes this

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

The Tentacle-Faced Mad Man

• Members
  • 487 posts
Nope, can't do anything.
Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
~Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, The Human Hive, Alpha Centauri
----------------------------------------------------------------------
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
~US Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1950
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
~Going Postal, Sir Terry Pratchett
America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.
~Georges Clemenceau

Xaph

Xaph

haha well that's shit

Darth Cola

Darth Cola

Dark Lord of the Soda

• Lothal
  • Independent Leader
  • 269 posts

What, exactly, happens when an admin tries to use the ACP?  Like what error(s) come up, etc? 

I seem to remember someone saying something abut a "driver error"...  What is the exact error message?

"Driver errors" in the past have just meant that the server isn't running the right versions of software needed to run the site.  Usually, it was a temporary error, or something that could be corrected by changing the software versions used in the backend settings, but now it's a death sentence because of how long it's shut us down.

The fact that it has taken THIS LONG and the issue is still not resolved, frankly, ...  The host should be able to fix the issue if pressed properly by the owners, but if not, the site should have been moved by now to a different host that can actually do its damned job.

This might still be fixed, but only if anyone in charge bitches at the hosting company enough, or moves SWD to a better host. :P

Edited by Darth Cola, 29 March 2018 - 05:01 AM.

4vhLnvm.png

Pvj6Qkq.png

Romae

Romae

Veteran Member; Deserves to be Called "Sir"

• Axxila
  • Sub Avatars
  • 557 posts
I don’t know about the specific issues (on a phone) so I can’t name the exact error but from what I was told - our current version of the website is not compatible with the hosts version of......something.... on the server. It’s like 99% compatible but not enough to fully work. The host won’t revert a server just for us.

So Fury went looking for a solution and didn’t find one. So we need a dedicated coder. Which we’re working on (slower than I’d like but I have done all I can do on my end. I know 0 about coding itself so I can’t finish the RFP i started).

The Connatic

The Connatic

• Almania
  • Independent Leader
  • 30 posts

Would it then be better to simply move to a host which can work with this site? Can Bregor offer some advice on what technical specs need to be in the RFP?

The Connatic

The Connatic

• Almania
  • Independent Leader
  • 30 posts

Would it then be better to simply move to a host which can work with this site? Can Bregor offer some advice on what technical specs need to be in the RFP?

Shadows

Shadows

The Best Marital Aid in the Galaxy

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 665 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
The host changed versions of the sql database which makes our engine inaccessible, and the acp with it. Brent and cvong tried but the host refused to roll it back, since apparently they do it to all their servers. Switching... From my understanding we are so archaic that its not a guarantee that we can find a host that runs with a compatible version of sql.

There was rumors about a patch to fix it, but from my understanding nothing developed from it.

SWD Chatroom

SWD Owner | Head Avatar

Darth Cola

Darth Cola

Dark Lord of the Soda

• Lothal
  • Independent Leader
  • 269 posts

The host changed versions of the sql database which makes our engine inaccessible, and the acp with it. Brent and cvong tried but the host refused to roll it back, since apparently they do it to all their servers. Switching... From my understanding we are so archaic that its not a guarantee that we can find a host that runs with a compatible version of sql.

There was rumors about a patch to fix it, but from my understanding nothing developed from it.

That's a very strange problem.  What version of IPB are we using on this site?  I can't remember, but it seems like it was a relatively new-ish version.  Like not the latest version at the time it was installed, but the one before it...?  For a host to update something to make it obsolete - especially the version of SQL that its server runs - seems like a shit move.  I bet it would be easy to find a different host that would be compatible.  Hell, the old SWD would still be running on the old host if not for all of the security holes in IPB 1.3.1 that let it get infested with malware, and it's way older than the software for this site.

4vhLnvm.png

Pvj6Qkq.png

Delta Force

Delta Force

• Members
  • 158 posts

What hosting provider are you using? Some of them refuse to help with any custom jobs, but the one I use for my site does.

Also, are these issues with the software behind the very slow speeds the site has been experiencing recently?

Darth Cola

Darth Cola

Dark Lord of the Soda

• Lothal
  • Independent Leader
  • 269 posts
Everything is working a lot faster now, but we still need a new host. :lol:

Backward compatibility with older versions of PHP, SQL, etc. are common among a lot of hosts. Whatever host SWD is stuck with right now doesn’t seem to realize how mandating the "latest and greatest" versions of PHP, SQL, and other platforms without a willingness to support older software will ruin a lot of their paying customers' sites and alienate their clients.

I beg the Owners Group to start looking for a new host, specific to the needs of SWD.

Most of the legit hosting companies I've seen will not "upgrade" a server and then refuse to help their clients keep their sites running following the "upgrade".

A lot of that kind of stuff can even be configured by leaving previous versions of the software installed and then creating a configuration file in the root folder of a hosting account on the server. In other words, a text file could be written with the proper name, extension, etc., and placed in a specific user's root directory on a server, and the settings would effect only that user's account.

With a decent host, this site could be up and running again in no time, and then we'd just need to finish the coding or use workarounds until the coding could be finished.

(Edited for relevance and language. :P)

Edited by Darth Cola, 05 April 2018 - 11:39 AM.

• Stevay b, Potestas, The Connatic and 1 other like this

4vhLnvm.png

Pvj6Qkq.png

The Connatic

The Connatic

• Almania
  • Independent Leader
  • 30 posts

Colleagues have given me positive feedback on Dream Host. If you have a 501c3 certificate they only charge you domain re-registration, not that is applies here, but interesting for those who do run one: https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/.

Shadows

Shadows

The Best Marital Aid in the Galaxy

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 665 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
I swear to god I thought a bot had hacked your account.
  • The Connatic and SANAND like this

SWD Chatroom

SWD Owner | Head Avatar

The Connatic

The Connatic

• Almania
  • Independent Leader
  • 30 posts

LOL, I just noticed that it totally looks like that. Link is legit tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users