• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

SANAND

SANAND

Veteran Member

• Neimoidia
  • Independent Leader
  • 275 posts

I had an idea for a SIM and i've begun writing it up for fun. It is only about 20% done but I think its an interesting idea. Potestas is helping me out and working on some maps. Heres a basic summary I wrote at the beginning to keep me on track:

" 'Fatherland SIM Central' will focus on the interior politics of Nazi Germany after victory in WW2. You will be able to play regional governors, industrial tycoons, political aspirants, partisan groups and everything inbetween. Hitler and his top level leaders will be played by the administrators of the SIM, as well as foreign nations. You will have full control over each of your respective domains and will be charged with their care and development during the game to proceed how you see best.

Each turn you have a chance to be given orders. For some it may be to stamp out a local communist insurgency, to train spys to operate within the United States, or to plan a false flag operation to incite war against another nation.  For others it may be to increase production of tanks and weaponry in the factories under your control, to search for new sources of raw materials, or even to assasinate another troublesome player. You may chose to follow your orders and appease the Nazi Leadership or forge your own path and risk being removed from power or worse.

In order to survive, you must work together to both keep Germany strong and keep he Nazi Leadership happy. In order to win, you must destroy all that may oppose your rule until you are the next Fuhrer."

Thats just a basic outline. I'm still nailing a lot of it down but thats the basic Idea. If anyone would be interested in playing or have any input let me know.

• Sheriden likes this

The Neimoidians have a severely overblown opinion of themselves and their capabilities.― Nevil Cygni to Admiral Thrawn

dafurr

dafurr

• Dac
  • Republic Leader
  • 98 posts
I'll be very honest. On the one hand, you're asking a bunch of people to play Nazis. On the other, if they undermine the regime, the results are all totally arbitrary and by the whim of the admin. In other games, you have strength of numbers die rolls, whatever. But this seems very much admin determined. And it's not like GovSim or PoliticsUK, which are great, and good admins are just hard asses to everybody, because the outcome of a miscalculation in a Nazi sim should be death in most cases, rather than lower poll numbers. Doing it right means high turnover from the number of rage quitters.

I think this is why most of these kinds of things are either not fun, or just a mess. Same thing happens if you try to do a USSR kind of game, or anything like it.

The only way it works, in my opinion, is if you have some sort of system to make outcomes measurable. A points system for actions, for example. If you spend 1 point you have a 50% chance of success, but if you spend 4 you have a 90% chance, that kind of thing. Then players feel like things aren't just arbitrary. Also, I'd consider allowing players to have more than one concurrent character. This is to try to prevent rage quitting when their character dies. If Super Mario only had one "life" you lose a huge chunk of the playerbase.
  • Sheriden likes this
Posted Image

SANAND

SANAND

Veteran Member

• Neimoidia
  • Independent Leader
  • 275 posts

I appreciate your input. I like the point system, I was leaning a bit in that direction for submitting turns and outcomes. The idea is to create a basis for this kind of game that is both engaging and easily playable. The Germany game is just the first of a set of prototypes I'll be running to hammer it out. Eventually I would like to have a framework built that works for most nations so you can just 'Insert here' the specifics and its ready to go. The next game is probably going to be set within the United States.

How would you see having multiple player characters working? Its an interesting idea but I would think it would take away from the risk/reward factor. Maybe have a designated underling that will take over after you, but instead of stats you pick they are randomly generated? Gives you a second chance that could be way different than your first.

• Sheriden likes this

The Neimoidians have a severely overblown opinion of themselves and their capabilities.― Nevil Cygni to Admiral Thrawn

Sheriden

Sheriden
  • LocationCalifornia

Maybe you have tiered characters. Like each s progressively less awesome? So you can keep playing if something bad happened to your primary... But you've lost some status, influence, or whatever... As your secondary character has less starting points, and time invested, etc.

Inventor of the Praise Thread

A LONG TIME AGO...

[Round 3 : Lethe] [Round 4 : Kuat] [Round 7 : Kamino] [Round 8 : Restart Team Member, Admiral Daala, Grand Moff Ardus Kaine & Kessel, Pentastar Alignment] [Round 12 : Kamino] [Round 14 : Aargau] [Round 15 : Koensayr Manufacturing] [Round 16 : Restart Team Member, Pentastar Alignment] [Round 22 : Corellian Sector (Richard Nixon)] [Round 24 : Restart Team Member, Organizations Avatar] [Beta Round (27) : Restart Team Member/Head Avatar]

SWDChat Room

oaEF1QZ.gif?1

SANAND

SANAND

Veteran Member

• Neimoidia
  • Independent Leader
  • 275 posts

But wouldn't they just be put into the same position of power the last guy was? If I make it so they can't dig their graves too deep then its just another thing that the admins are controlling instead of the player. Maybe some sort of % goes up accounting for how closely their region is watched, restricting how much they can accomplish with each fuck up. If one player domain has gone through 3 characters it will be watched by the leaders of the state much more closely than player domain that still has its initial leader.

Should it be my responsibility to make sure nothing falls apart for the player or should I let that be an integral part of the game. I'm wondering if this would be better paced as a quicker game, maybe 10-15 turns max. It allows a quick turn over and nobody feels they've invested 4 months into something just to have it snatched away. I want this to be very backstabbey, very confrontational. People wiping each other out is supposed to happen. There is a pre-determined end date decided by the Admin so it can't get too off the rails. Everyone will know its sort of like Civilization of HoI. There WILL be a certain time when it 'ends' and points are calculated, Hitler dies, and someone is named Fuhrer. It won't go on forever. Im aiming for a 2-3 month start-end date. Fast paced, smaller actions. It allows the game to progress quickly and doesn't make the admins want to avoid processing a book every day.

SANAND

SANAND

Veteran Member

• Neimoidia
  • Independent Leader
  • 275 posts

Also my 'orders' idea is going to be much more minor that it seems in the summary. Its just something that may come up once or twice a game to give you some outside flavor. I was inspired by SWD and how it runs. Its great when the player base is active but I've always thought occasional 'galactic events' that are outside of any player control should happen. Just to spice things up. For example a star goes nova and wipes out the homeworld of a species so now they're out looking for a new home. Or a new type of shield is rumored to be in development by some outer rim planet. All very light touches, all NPC only planets and all places players haven't been yet. It would have to be done delicately to find a happy medium. Sort of like an AV run PBC filling in any gaps that we don't happen to fill. I'm leaning more along the lines of how the director works in Left 4 Dead. It isn't really there and 95% of the game is up to you but there is always that 5% chance something could change or screw up. Like if someone has been having a really great run, lets throw some spys into his factories or some communists into his soldiers. Little stuff to keep the players on their toes and shake up a stagnant game if it gets there. 

Edited by SANAND, 26 January 2018 - 02:22 PM.

dafurr

dafurr

• Dac
  • Republic Leader
  • 98 posts
I'd actually be much more radical and allow players to play a second, equally good, character. That would include playing one character that is 100% loyal, and one that is 100% disloyal if they wanted to.

The options become more interesting here. Play two complimentary characters to try to work together. Play two opposing characters, and build them both up, and then destroy one yourself, becoming more influential or whatever in the process. Other players should be aware of who has who, so players who are playing both sides won't be trusted.

My thinking is this: this allows really ingenious players to do really interesting things, and it creates the necessary paranoia among the playerbase. And, as is true in reality, often the most dangerous person to a totalitarian regime could be one of its perceived champions, someone who does everything for it for years, and then stabs the knife.
Posted Image

Itake

Itake

:blink:

• Amorn likes this

K.H.

K.H.

Most Awarded Member

• Metellos
  • Head Sub Avatar
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

What happened to the good ol' days when people signed up to play games where you killed Nazis instead of playing as them? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users