Star Wars Diplomacy - Game Menu

Month 7, Day 9, 5 ABY, 5:28 PM

General Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
859 replies to this topic

Xaph

Xaph

I am now basking in the pool of I told you so. 

^ very helpful.

Anyway, I think major's been given a very difficult job with very difficult restrictions, and if he can't even start til January, then something needs to be done, drastically, because I don't know how long any non-die hards will stick around (we're looking at a feb start at the earliest, surely)

Edited by Xaph, 13 December 2017 - 06:02 PM.

• SANAND likes this

dafurr

dafurr

• Dac
  • Republic Leader
  • 69 posts
We can get a good Indian coder for $15. Just go to Guru.

We know some features are working properly. For example, I can't build Star Destroyers in my Aquatic Vehicle factories. So, some permissions are working properly. It appears that the permissions based on class (Battlecruiser, Starfighter, Star Destroyer, etc.) are generally working.

That's why I think this isn't a huge a job. The MySQL database side is populated (or I'm told it is), all we need are planet perms to work the same way the vehicle class perms are working (and fix whatever few aren't working), and for somebody to add a line in the budgets that reduces the surplus by a percentage of the debt total.
Posted Image

Xaph

Xaph

That's why I think this isn't a huge a job.

You ever try to pick up someone's incomplete coding? (With or without comments)

WitchDoktor

WitchDoktor

Well to understand my comment to its intended degree, one must see the larger picture and notice that we are on a new board speaking to each other at the moment because of problems in code.  That is not to mention the countless code errors we've all experienced, and the code problems that killed off several rounds, up to and including the Great SWD Apocalypse of Round 11.

Round 6: Telos IV
Round 7: Ralltiir
Round 8: Sluis Van
Round X: Chiss Ascendancy, Sub Avatar
Round 11: Head Military Avatar, Skako
Round 12: Head Military Avatar, Head GPOL Avatar - Awards: Most User-Friendly Avatar, Best Overall Avatar, BH's 'Member of the Round' Award
Round 13: Neimoidia/Viceroy/HoS-CIS/Restart Team/Sub-Avatar - Awards: Best Arms Market
Round 14: Chiss Ascendancy, LOA
Round 15: Chief of Staff
Round 16: Corellia
Round 17: Chiss Ascendancy
Round 18: Induparan Crown Worlds/Coruscant - Awards: Most Politically Successful, Most Militarily Successful, Best Overall Player
Round 19: Ciutric Sector
Round 20: Seswenna Sector
Round 21: Mandalore, Eriadu Union State
Round 22/23: Head Avatar, Security Ops/Policy Avatar, Advisor, Senex-Juvex/Combined Syndicates/Ravnican Empire - Awards: Most Military Successful Player, Best MILI Action, Tekaryn Award for Multiple Personalities.
Round 24: Allied Tion/United Kingdoms of Tion
Round 25: Admiral Ackbar/Alliance Fleet

Round 26: Night Hammer Command/Imperial High Commander/Moff Tarkin - Awards: Best Arms Market, Villain of the Round

Xaph

Xaph

Well, that's what happens with trickle-down design.

• SANAND likes this

dafurr

dafurr

• Dac
  • Republic Leader
  • 69 posts
Xaph, I'm not saying that to put anybody down. What I'm saying is if a person who didn't have to do this as a hobby on top of everything else in their life took a look at it, we're not really doing anything that ostensibly complex.

And I can't speak on the completeness of the code. Every single budget operates the same. Every single design has the same permissions (class, organization, planet, tech). I would think you'd either write code to catch all designs, or write code for one design and make it perfect and then repeat for each design.
Posted Image

Xaph

Xaph

anything that ostensibly complex.

Did you listen to what major had to say about that?

dafurr

dafurr

• Dac
  • Republic Leader
  • 69 posts
Yes, he said he has no time and never got solid directions on what to do. We can have an academic discussion or we can fix the problem. Major cannot fix it. I've asked him about the possibility of diagnosing it.

I think that's the first step in actually getting things up and running.
Posted Image

dafurr

dafurr

• Dac
  • Republic Leader
  • 69 posts
*dp*

Edited by dafurr, 13 December 2017 - 07:11 PM.

Posted Image

Redbirdfan

Redbirdfan

ExO Wiilik Tyrell

• Etti IV
  • CSA Leader
  • 46 posts

Bregor just vanish?

SANAND

SANAND

• Neimoidia
  • Independent Leader
  • 138 posts

Yes, he said he has no time and never got solid directions on what to do. We can have an academic discussion or we can fix the problem. Major cannot fix it. I've asked him about the possibility of diagnosing it.

I think that's the first step in actually getting things up and running.

Major CAN fix it. I spoke to him in early November and he was telling me it could be done by thanksgiving, early December at the latest. But that was before everything got bogged down and directionless. There WAS time to do this. Literally a month and a half since I've talking to Major and probably longer since you guys brought him on board. And now if he's stuck doing exams instead of wrapping up what should have been done weeks ago, thats the fault of the leadership, not his.

The one thing this site has always used as currency is TIME and we're spending a fucking tonne of it getting nothing done.

EDIT: I think what is more necessary is a topic made just for discussing what we need to get done and how we are going to do it. The page Sheriden where we could discuss personal gripes or whatever it was was absolutely unnecessary and distracting. You should do the opposite of that and make a place where everyone can see what you are discussing, how you are going about it, and what timeframes we are working with. Having this spread across 3 sites and a fucking illuminati AV page is ridiculous.

Edited by SANAND, 13 December 2017 - 08:00 PM.

The Neimoidians have a severely overblown opinion of themselves and their capabilities.― Nevil Cygni to Admiral Thrawn

Potestas

Potestas

Srips Baby Daddy

• Colla IV
  • 181 posts
  • LocationAt your Moms
So the show "Happy!" is glorious. My soul connects to it.
[in response to a child's letter] "Dear Frederick, thank you for your nice letter, but I am actually a US Marine who was born to kill, whereas clearly you seem to have mistaken me for some sort of wine sipping, communist dick suck. And although peace probably appeals to tree hugging bi-sexuals like you and your parents, I happen to be a death-dealing, blood-crazed warrior who wakes up every day just hoping for the chance to dismember my enemies and defile their civilizations. Peace sucks a hairy asshole, Freddy. War is the mother-fucking answer." -Cpl Ray Person (Generation Kill)

"You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less."
-Robert E. Lee

"Behind every gun sight is a human being.
We are those people. If history only remembers one in a thousand of us, then the future will be filled with stories of who we were and what we did. But until that day comes, we will stand. We will look death in the eye and we will fight."

“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Dear Humanity... We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to Earth. And we most definitely regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy-ass fleet!"
- Sergeant Major Avery Johnson

Romae

Romae

Veteran Member; Deserves to be Called "Sir"

• Axxila
  • Sub Avatars
  • 342 posts
All valid criticisms. Don’t think that we’re happy with the pace of things. Sheridan and KH have done some amazing work as is and I think we’re closer than we all imagine. We’ll just have to do with work around to some of the missing (but will eventually be added) features. We’ve got two work arounds we’re going to try that will solve some permissions and debt issues.

RBF - last I knew Bregor has a doctorate thesis to defend. I’m sure he’ll be back.

dafurr

dafurr

• Dac
  • Republic Leader
  • 69 posts
If the class designations are working properly, one way to work around is to just do all perms through class designations.

For example instead of having Starfighters, you could have Starfighters-Dac for all the starfighter designs Dac has access to. You'd have a lot of work to do, that way, but it will work if the class perms are working.
Posted Image

Romae

Romae

Veteran Member; Deserves to be Called "Sir"

• Axxila
  • Sub Avatars
  • 342 posts
I think we’re doing something similar. This is all based on my understanding but it may be not correct lol but....

For debt (major budget item missing) were going to add negative income units to represent that. For permissions, i think individual permissions works but organization ones don’t. We need to make different permissions levels for orgs so that player get access to the right forum (or we’ll use passwords). Military units is the same but we’ll assign org permission ships individually.

Maybe. It’s grunt work but it can be done. The final piece beyond those two is balance and assign correct techs.

Xaph

Xaph

I recently thought I might have confirmation bias, and so far everything I've read about it has just supported my hypothesis.

• SANAND likes this

Shadows

Shadows

The Best Marital Aid in the Galaxy

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

If I'm being completely frank then I wouldn't be able to or want to take SWD as a client. Management is way too split on what to implement and how to do so. So to be blunt, the avs themselves need to get together and get a very detailed spec worked up. I'd be happy to help do this if we could get some kind of conference call going, but so far it's proved impossible to gather that much brass at one time, and the information I need is just way too scattered and incomplete at the current time.

Also I'd personally say $15 sounds pretty low, but that just might be my danish frame of reference. Quality coding is pretty expensive, and there's no reason to rush this so it becomes as fragmented and hack-y as the old site.

We did that many moons ago when this all started. It's just been derailed from there as things took a lot longer than expected, and issues arose. I will be available if you want to talk in about... 9 hours after work and my commute. Or we can schedule something for Sunday any time. I can coordinate and get as many of the avs around as I can, or worst case scenario it can just be me and you.

SWD Chatroom

SWD Owner | Some form of staff member... probably...

SANAND

SANAND

• Neimoidia
  • Independent Leader
  • 138 posts

I'll bring the flowers and wine for you two. Fish or Chicken?

The Neimoidians have a severely overblown opinion of themselves and their capabilities.― Nevil Cygni to Admiral Thrawn

Shadows

Shadows

The Best Marital Aid in the Galaxy

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
Depends on the fish. Though honestly, I prefer a nice rib eye. Roses and a nice pinot noir please.

SWD Chatroom

SWD Owner | Some form of staff member... probably...

SANAND

SANAND

• Neimoidia
  • Independent Leader
  • 138 posts

I'll have Andromeda prepare yours with his special sauce ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users