Game Announcements

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

The Tentacle-Faced Mad Man

• Members
  • 397 posts

I am withdrawing as head avatar, and Shadows will be the interim one until we find a replacement (or force him into it). I am basically stressed out IRL for almost a month due to financial and employment situations and can't focus here. I want to thank everyone on the restart staff for for working hard, and hopefully this can kick the restart into its final stages.

Also, all complaints now go to Shadows. Fill his PM box ;)

• Shadows likes this
Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
~Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, The Human Hive, Alpha Centauri
----------------------------------------------------------------------
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
~US Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1950
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
~Going Postal, Sir Terry Pratchett
America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.
~Georges Clemenceau

Shadows

Shadows

The Best Marital Aid in the Galaxy

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
I'm getting my bearings. I'll keep you updated when I've done that.
  • Itake likes this

SWD Chatroom

SWD Owner | Some form of staff member... probably...

Shadows

Shadows

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts
So here is the update...
- Currently, major is working to familiarize himself with the code. The first thing he is doing is going through and making some of the stuff that you guts haven't been able to see visible.
- After WD nagging us, Sheridan went in and modified the old ship spreadsheet to account for our new production system. These numbers will be i put, replacing the old fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants numbers.
- Marcus has begun working on cleaning up and adding technologies we will need for the game. This is a major step as once its done, we can assign industries to planets.

What needs to be done...
-Assign technologies/industries to planets and units
-Modify the budget code to account for org taxes and variable debt interest
-Clean up and rebalance stats

SWD Chatroom

Shadows

Shadows

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts
Update:
You are now allowed to make the following...

-Arms Markets
-Embassies
-PBCs (limit them please, no flood of them, any results that should come will be dealt with after round start)

Have fun. No open deals yet, but I encourage you to continue your back alley dealings. The unit list should be mostly visible, please report any bugs you find. Major is actively working on the other sections to get them visible.

A note for markets... Remember units do not have a cash cost, they only have a construction cost. I urge you take into account your facilities upkeep and how much you can build at one time when pricing your units.
  • Sheriden likes this

SWD Chatroom

Sheriden

Sheriden
  • LocationCalifornia

Update:
You are now allowed to make the following...

-Arms Markets
-Embassies
-PBCs (limit them please, no flood of them, any results that should come will be dealt with after round start)

Have fun. No open deals yet, but I encourage you to continue your back alley dealings. The unit list should be mostly visible, please report any bugs you find. Major is actively working on the other sections to get them visible.

A note for markets... Remember units do not have a cash cost, they only have a construction cost. I urge you take into account your facilities upkeep and how much you can build at one time when pricing your units.

It is also important to remember that your planetary budget is not yet accurate as Debt Interest is not accounted for. Don't plan on having even a fraction as much money as your planet page suggests you do at the moment. 

Inventor of the Praise Thread

A LONG TIME AGO...

[Round 3 : Lethe] [Round 4 : Kuat] [Round 7 : Kamino] [Round 8 : Restart Team Member, Admiral Daala, Grand Moff Ardus Kaine & Kessel, Pentastar Alignment] [Round 12 : Kamino] [Round 14 : Aargau] [Round 15 : Koensayr Manufacturing] [Round 16 : Restart Team Member, Pentastar Alignment] [Round 22 : Corellian Sector (Richard Nixon)] [Round 24 : Restart Team Member, Organizations Avatar] [Beta Round (27) : Restart Team Member/Chief of Staff, Empress Teta]

SWDChat Room

oaEF1QZ.gif?1

Shadows

Shadows

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts

No, I did not post this in the wrong place originally... never...

Sheriden is now the Chief of Staff. That is all.

Move along.

• Potestas likes this

SWD Chatroom

Shadows

Shadows

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts

You can no longer edit posts and remove the "editted by" tag unless you are a staff member. Don't know why this was allowed in the first place.

SWD Chatroom

Shadows

Shadows

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts

So I will be giving up Eriadu to focus on managing the game during the next round. If anyone would like Eriadu, please let me know via PM.

SWD Chatroom

Sheriden

Sheriden
  • LocationCalifornia

Are you interested in serving as a member of the Avatar or Sub-Avatar Team? Applications are now open. Destination: My Inbox.

Applications will be evaluated using the following criteria: game experience, ability to work as part of a team, time availability, your ability to impress me, and any other factor you convince me is worthy of consideration. 

I reserve the right to select who I think will lead to the best possible round for our community. 

Please keep in mind that this is a Beta Round for our new game engine and that engine development will be a factor of who is selected and how the round is run.

• Potestas likes this

A LONG TIME AGO...

[Round 3 : Lethe] [Round 4 : Kuat] [Round 7 : Kamino] [Round 8 : Restart Team Member, Admiral Daala, Grand Moff Ardus Kaine & Kessel, Pentastar Alignment] [Round 12 : Kamino] [Round 14 : Aargau] [Round 15 : Koensayr Manufacturing] [Round 16 : Restart Team Member, Pentastar Alignment] [Round 22 : Corellian Sector (Richard Nixon)] [Round 24 : Restart Team Member, Organizations Avatar] [Beta Round (27) : Restart Team Member/Chief of Staff, Empress Teta]

SWDChat Room

oaEF1QZ.gif?1

Shadows

Shadows

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts

Please read this.

This is the code of conduct for Round 27. It will be strictly enforced before and throughout the round. If you do not agree with this code of conduct, you are welcome to send a message to a staff member as appropriate, so that they may remove you from your planet. Participating in the community, including but not limited to playing the Round, will constitute your agreement to this code of conduct.

• Taldar Logas likes this

SWD Chatroom

Shadows

Shadows

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts

So, I was going to open IC posting, but it doesn't look like we will be ready soon enough for me to be comfortable with it. There's also the matter of permissions being messed up.

So stand by. We're trying to get the people who can fix the issues to fix the issues, but as we can all understand they have busy schedules themselves.

• Juggs, Itake, Potestas and 2 others like this

SWD Chatroom

Sheriden

Sheriden
  • LocationCalifornia

As several questions about canon continuity have come forward recently, I though it would be worth posting notice that the round will be using New Canon "locked in" as of the date that we opened player applications. New material that comes out after that date will not affect the game round so as to avoid anyone being screwed by a change to their world after they began working on their plans. Please see Cvong's prior announcements on Legends continuity for further clarifications. 

A LONG TIME AGO...

SWDChat Room

oaEF1QZ.gif?1

Cthulhuvong

Cthulhuvong

The Tentacle-Faced Mad Man

• Members
  • 397 posts

Ruling on Canon:
After discussing it with the other avatars, we've decided that unless an item in Legends contradicted by the new Disney Canon, it exists.

For example, the Mandalorian Protectors are gone, wiped out except for one man who didn't seem like he was going to restart them. On the other hand the Katana Fleet is out there, but only 2 people know of its existence. 

New material of Disney Canon that comes out during play will be considered canon unless it contradicts the canon of the game at start.

For example, if Disney Canon reveals that Muunilinst is BDZ'd before our game start, but people have already interacted with it, that will be ignored, or a modified version of the events will be created (if possible). However, if no one has interacted with it or mentioned it, then it will be considered canon.

Here's the post Sheriden is talking about above. As clarification, if someone is playing a planet it is already interacted with, and as such won't be changed.

• Sheriden likes this
Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
~Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, The Human Hive, Alpha Centauri
It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error
~US Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1950
Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
~Going Postal, Sir Terry Pratchett
America is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.
~Georges Clemenceau

Sheriden

Sheriden
  • LocationCalifornia

We've found a work around for Forum Permissions and you should now only be able to see Organization Forums for your organization... Plus the New Republic Galactic Assembly - which is an open forum. However no one but New Republic Members should be able to post in the Galactic Assembly. Feel free to try and post as a test. But please no in character posting in the Org Forums until we announce you can do so.

A LONG TIME AGO...

SWDChat Room

oaEF1QZ.gif?1

Shadows

Shadows

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts
So I may not be here for a bit. I live in the Oxnard/Ventura area and we are having massive fires to the north. We are also having constant brownouts in the third of town that isn't completely blacked out from destroyed power lines. Huge evacuations in the area.

So yeah. I'm going to be busy.
  • Sam Baxter, Sheriden and SANAND like this

SWD Chatroom

K.H.

K.H.

Most Awarded Member

• Metellos
  • Head Sub Avatar
  • 848 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

I will be going down the list of planets and adding units to planets that have unusually small upkeeps, so if you notice that you have more troops I am probably the person who put them there. If you have anything odd that stands out about your military, you can message me and I might be able to fix it since I am going to be under the hood anyway. 

• Potestas likes this

WitchDoktor

WitchDoktor
You all have until my next day off of work to inform me of any vehicle, vessel, station, or personnel type you would like to see added. Do your research beforehand and legitimately ask yourself "should this really be added?". I will then consider adding it or not. Once the time limit ends I put it in the spreadsheet to crap out the numbers and then thats it not adding anything more. Furthermore, anything added will NOT go in anyones starting military.

Round 6: Telos IV
Round 7: Ralltiir
Round 8: Sluis Van
Round X: Chiss Ascendancy, Sub Avatar
Round 11: Head Military Avatar, Skako
Round 12: Head Military Avatar, Head GPOL Avatar - Awards: Most User-Friendly Avatar, Best Overall Avatar, BH's 'Member of the Round' Award
Round 13: Neimoidia/Viceroy/HoS-CIS/Restart Team/Sub-Avatar - Awards: Best Arms Market
Round 14: Chiss Ascendancy, LOA
Round 15: Chief of Staff
Round 16: Corellia
Round 17: Chiss Ascendancy
Round 18: Induparan Crown Worlds/Coruscant - Awards: Most Politically Successful, Most Militarily Successful, Best Overall Player
Round 19: Ciutric Sector
Round 20: Seswenna Sector
Round 21: Mandalore, Eriadu Union State
Round 22/23: Head Avatar, Security Ops/Policy Avatar, Advisor, Senex-Juvex/Combined Syndicates/Ravnican Empire - Awards: Most Military Successful Player, Best MILI Action, Tekaryn Award for Multiple Personalities.
Round 24: Allied Tion/United Kingdoms of Tion
Round 25: Admiral Ackbar/Alliance Fleet

Round 26: Night Hammer Command/Imperial High Commander/Moff Tarkin - Awards: Best Arms Market, Villain of the Round

WitchDoktor

WitchDoktor

You all have until my next day off of work to inform me of any vehicle, vessel, station, or personnel type you would like to see added. Do your research beforehand and legitimately ask yourself "should this really be added?". I will then consider adding it or not. Once the time limit ends I put it in the spreadsheet to crap out the numbers and then thats it not adding anything more. Furthermore, anything added will NOT go in anyones starting military.

So that day is Wednesday the 13th.

Round 6: Telos IV
Round 7: Ralltiir
Round 8: Sluis Van
Round X: Chiss Ascendancy, Sub Avatar
Round 11: Head Military Avatar, Skako
Round 12: Head Military Avatar, Head GPOL Avatar - Awards: Most User-Friendly Avatar, Best Overall Avatar, BH's 'Member of the Round' Award
Round 13: Neimoidia/Viceroy/HoS-CIS/Restart Team/Sub-Avatar - Awards: Best Arms Market
Round 14: Chiss Ascendancy, LOA
Round 15: Chief of Staff
Round 16: Corellia
Round 17: Chiss Ascendancy
Round 18: Induparan Crown Worlds/Coruscant - Awards: Most Politically Successful, Most Militarily Successful, Best Overall Player
Round 19: Ciutric Sector
Round 20: Seswenna Sector
Round 21: Mandalore, Eriadu Union State
Round 22/23: Head Avatar, Security Ops/Policy Avatar, Advisor, Senex-Juvex/Combined Syndicates/Ravnican Empire - Awards: Most Military Successful Player, Best MILI Action, Tekaryn Award for Multiple Personalities.
Round 24: Allied Tion/United Kingdoms of Tion
Round 25: Admiral Ackbar/Alliance Fleet

Round 26: Night Hammer Command/Imperial High Commander/Moff Tarkin - Awards: Best Arms Market, Villain of the Round

Sheriden

Sheriden
  • LocationCalifornia

The State of the Restart

Two Months have passed since applications were opened and I'm sure that many of you are wondering why we haven't started the game round yet. I hope that this post will answer some of your questions about the restart process. I will endeavor to lay out for you what we've already accomplished, what work still remains ahead of us, and how soon we will be ready to begin the round.

The round backstory has been established and policy on canon/legends content has been explained. The planet list has been assembled, plant stats (GDP, Population, RR/IR, DP, Stability, and Technology Levels) have been set - though it is worth noting that we will not be using the Research or Shield technology levels this round, the unit list has been built (we may be making minor adjustments to the list as we review what was brought over from the old forums) and our new industry system has been fleshed out, starting Military Formations have been assigned, and Industrial Facilities have been generated (there is a small list of Industrial Facilities that still need to be generated for a number of worlds - to ensure that everyone is capable of building new industry facilities, as not all facilities are capable of building new industry...). In this area of work, it is worth noting that for the moment, no Population Growth or GDP Growth statistics have been assigned. No determination has been made if we will leave these at 0 prior to the round start, or if we will further refine game balance by assigning growth rates to he planet list. 

Planetary Debt levels have not yet been finalized because we will use planetary debt to balance the game economy once we have locked in all of our other mechanics. This will take place quickly as debt can be edited by mass input and I have established a formula for setting debt levels. But here we reach one of our first stumbling blocks. We are still waiting on code work to implement the subtraction of debt interest from planetary surplus. Without this correction to the budget formula we have no way of fine tuning the budget surplus. It is our hope that Majortopio will be able to make this addition to the code - in which case we will proceed with updating the debt totals based on my formula and the economic system will be ready to go. It was my hope that we would also have an organization tax system built into this new engine, just as we had one on the old forums, but at this time we can live without automated taxes - as starting the round is more important to us. But once Bregor returns to coding the game engine I hope that this will be a priority. 

In bringing the unit database from the old forum over to our new site, while also having implemented a new production system, it was necessary to modify the process in which unit Upkeep and Production Value were determined, as we have eliminated Cost as a factor (don't be fooled, some units still list a "cost" but that value is now meaningless). I have updated the spreadsheets created to calculate ships cost, upkeep, and production value and we have new numbers ready to upload to all of our starships and starfighters. Those updates are taking place. This is another reason why we are waiting to finalize debt totals, as upkeep and therefore surplus may be affected by these changes. However, we have not yet conducted a review, let alone established a model) for refining the Upkeep and Production Value of other units - Personnel, Vehicles, etc. That project will need to be tackled before we begin the round, and this is an excellent example of work that is necessary not because of the restart, but because of our new game engine. Once done, projects like thee will not need to be repeated for future rounds. 

This brings me to the permissions system. At the moment we have another code work barrier... In that Planet and Organization permission settings don't appear to be working. Which makes it almost impossible for us to establish who can build what units. We have discussed modifying the Technology system to accommodate this barrier, but this represents a lot of work. If we complete all of our other projects and are still waiting for more code work to be completed, we may move forward with this solution. But it is not part of our plan for the time being. Speaking of Technology, we have not begun assigning technology to planets yet. We are still finalizing our review of what Technologies are necessary for the game, and only once that is complete will we begin assigning tech to worlds. 

I've already mentioned a few of our coding needs. In addition to those already mentioned, there is work needed on the unit list (where disabled & hidden units remain visible on the list and in the construction options), work to make buying and selling units possible, and a variety of other projects - though I believe I have mentioned all of the code work essential to starting the round.

What does this mean in so far as when we can start? It means that even if we finish all of the non-code work necessary to begin the round, there are still essential features not in place that prevent the game from being playable, and we have no ETA on when those features will be completed. Regarding the work we can move forward with, I'll admit that it has progressed slowly, but it has progressed - and I think that it will move forward more quickly once our team is inspired by the presence of a fully armed and operational game engine. If it came down to it, I believe that all non-code related work could be completed within a one week window.

It has been proposed that we could move froward with a soft round start, allowing limited in character posting prior to the rest of the game mechanics being finalized. This is a great idea. However he reality is that activity levels will only keep afloat for a limited period of time before attention wains. Shadows, myself, and the restart team will continue to evaluate when the optimal time to open in character posting is in relation to the remaining restart work - and we will keep you updated. 

My closing though is that the success and vibrancy of our community will depend on all of our players coming together and making the most of the round once it launches. Your activity drives the recruitment and retention of other new and returning players. So please, do not despair! Our round will be ready as soon as is possible and we're counting on you to make it a great one.

We will continue to post updates as major milestones are reached. 

• Fury, Daedalus, Juggs and 2 others like this

A LONG TIME AGO...

SWDChat Room

oaEF1QZ.gif?1

Shadows

Shadows

• Eriadu
  • Administrators
  • 542 posts
We are testing some manual work around for the coding issues. So far we have a plan for three major issues. Once we finish testing them I will give you another update.

SWD Chatroom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users